with Smithsonian/Time-Life photographer Layne Kennedy.
This great trip has a dogsledding itinerary similar to our 4-night trips and includes an extra 5th day of van travel to area sites of scenic & historic interest for photo shoots. Woven through it is a running clinic on outdoor photography facilitated by Layne Kennedy of Superior/Gunflint Photography Workshops. Layne is one of the best in his business (and you'll love his infectious humor!). His work regularly appears in Smithsonian, LIFE, Outside, and National Geographic publications. (He photographed our Greenland trek for a Smithsonian Magazine cover story.)
Whether you're a professional photographer or a point-and-shoot beginner, you'll come away from this trip with outstanding photos of your dogsledding experience and a host of new photographic skills. The evenings are filled with fun presentations by Layne on such topics as the history of photography, tips for getting your images published and how to use the latest photo technology tools. You'll especially enjoy the photo fest on the final evening. We'll provide computers on which you can organize your favorite digital images from the week to share over popcorn with the group as a "slide show" a chance to reminisce about the week and gain some helpful critique from Layne.
This trip has been a perennial favorite at Wintergreen for guests and staff alike for many years and was featured on CBS. Visit Layne's website (workshop page) and enjoy the great pics that have resulted from these trips at www.laynekennedy.com
- Enjoy "mushing" a team of our friendly Eskimo dogs on a variety of beautiful trails
- 3 days of guided dogsledding plus a day of visits to area scenic & historic sites for photo ops
- Photo shoots while sledding and skill clinics at the lodge offered each day by Layne Kennedy
- Lodging involves nights at either or both Wintergreen and Timber Trail Lodges
- Double-occupancy bedrooms & possible use of shared bathrooms (private bathrooms when available)
- Indoor lunch 1st & last day; campfire trailside picnic lunches on other days, plus snack & beverage breaks
- Dinners prepared by our Wintergreen chef and staff cooks, served family-style on buffet
- Evening socializing at the fireplace or slide talks by Layne on a variety of topics
- Chance to try snowshoeing, skiing, "ski-jouring" and our Finnish sauna
- A special welcoming dinner on your first night and send-off brunch on the final "Musher's Graduation" morning
Guest ProfileOn past trips, the guests (8-10 total) ranged from teens to seniors with an equal mix of men/women; 80% came with a friend or family member, the others came alone. About half the guests on this trip have professional photography aspirations while the others are casual shutterbugs simply interested in improving their skills for personal enjoyment (and you're even welcome to come along just for the fun, without taking pics!)
Specializing in magazine features, Layne Kennedy's work has appeared in over a hundred different magazines world-wide on subjects as diverse as Wolves in the Northern Hemisphere to boat builders in the Caribbean, as well as numerous books. His strong sense of abstract design, combined with journalistic story telling imagery, makes him a favorite among picture editors. His great sense of humor and adventurous spirit make him a favorite among Wintergreen guests! "Our photographic approach to these workshops is simple," says Layne, "We cover our adventure trip as if it were a magazine assignment. Participants are given instruction on general points of coverage to document as well as specific creative assignments like the use of flash, motion, night imagery, portrait, landscape, ect., to be included with their visual story."
Wintergreen is a featured destination among Nikon Photo’s Mentor Worldwide Photo Workshop Treks. We're a global photogenic hotspot.