Clothing for Your Wintergreen Dogsledding Trip
Gearing Up for Your Wintergreen Dogsled Trip is Easy!
Rental items: The key to winter comfort is having insulating layers that hold body warmth, plus outer shell layers that shed snow. Parkas combine insulating and shell layers in one garment and work fine. But we recommend the flexibility of having separate insulating and shell garments so that you can adjust your clothing as needed to stay warm & dry. Therefore the Wintergreen rental parkas (called "anoraks") and snow pants are offered in both shell and fleece (insulating) layers. Tara can advise you on whether you'll want to rent one or both layers, depending upon what you already have. (Prefer to purchase? These beautiful, distinctive & versatile Wintergreen anoraks offer 4-season comfort. Our guests can purchase them at 20% off through www.WintergreenNorthernWear.com) Our rental snow boots have rubber lowers, leather or nylon high-top uppers and removable insulating liners for ease of drying. Renting all these items (anorak & pants layers plus boots) at package discount runs $120 per adult for overnight trips ($40 for day trips) and $70 for kids ($20 for day trips). But you may only need some items: last year about half our overnight guests rented gear and they spent an average of $75 in rental.
Purchase items: Tara's "Warm & Cozy" Company offers synthetic long underwear tops and bottoms ($28 each for adult sizes, $18.50 each for kids sizes), thin liner socks ($9/adults, $6/kids), thick insulating socks ($14/adults, $9/kids), super-warm Wintergreen mittens ($58/adult, $36/kids) and Wintergreen hat ($46/adult, $32/kids). Purchasing all these items at package discount runs $175/adult, $105/kids. But you may only need some items (last year's guests who needed gear spent about $100/adult.) And remember, these items are a wise investment. They'll enhance your enjoyment of your Wintergreen experience and all other fall, spring or winter activities you engage in.
Rental and Purchase Options
from Warm & Cozy Company in Ely. Call Tara Shock 218-235-8664
The full rental package: Warmth and Wind layers
- Snow Boots: Great for backcountry snow with rubber lowers and leather or nylon high-top uppers and removable insulating liners for ease of drying. Available in kids whole sizes 3-7 and adult whole sizes 6-15. But supplies are limited so reserve a pair if you may need them.
- Shell Anorak: Made by the clothing experts at Wintergreen Northern wear here in Ely with 3-ply nylon that blocks the wind and breathes. The roomy design allows for layering underneath and circulation of warm air throughout the torso. Features a full coverage hood, two-way zipper, velcro wrist closures, large front pockets and draw-cords at the waist, hem and hood. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Fleece Anorak: Made of expedition weight fleece that gives maximum insulation and blocks wind. Also made by Wintergreen Northern wear this has the same features as the Shell Anorak. Wear these Anoraks together for the perfect winter coat. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Shell Pants: Made with 3-ply Nylon that blocks the wind and breathes. Plenty of room for comfortable movement and layering. Features large cargo pockets and zip fly. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Fleece Pants: These fit nicely under the shell pants as the insulating layer. Made of a heavyweight powerstretch® with a soft inside and durable outside. They are so comfortable you may want a pair to take home! View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
Rent one of each item and receive the Rental Package discount rate of $120/adult, $77/kid (overnight trips) or $40/adult, $20/kid (day trips)
The full purchase package: Wicking layers
- Base layer top: Duofold's Veratherm midweight base layers provide warmth while wicking moisture from the skin. Made of 96% polyester and 4% lycra elastane.
- Base layer bottom: Duofold's Veratherm midweight base layers provide warmth while wicking moisture from the skin. Made of 96% polyester and 4% lycra elastane.
- Liner Socks: Fox River's Wick Dry Therm-A-Wick liner socks are made of 55% Thermolite® polyester, 44% Nylon and 1% Spandex. Lends warmth without bulk and keeps the foot dry.
- Insulating Socks: Therm-O-Ragg socks are made of 35% wool, 31% Hollofil® polyester, 26% acrylic, 7% nylon and 1% spandex by Fox River. These are time tested heavy weight socks that hold in the heat.
- Liner gloves: Wick Dry Therm-O-Liner adds warmth without weight. Made of 98% thermolite® polyester and 2% spandex by Fox River. Keeps hands covered while tying laces or zipping up jackets.
- Wintergreen Mittens: Made of expedition weight fleece with a nylon shell on the back of the hand to block wind. Exceptional warmth made right here in Ely. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Wintergreen Hat Full: coverage is the key to keeping in heat. The Expedition Fleece Hat comes down over your ears and secures under the chin. It is made of heavy weight fleece with a microfleece lining. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
Purchase one of each item and receive the Purchase Package discount rate of $175/adult, $105/kid
Where is Warm and Cozy?
Our storefront is conveniently located on Ely's main street at 228 E. Sheridan St. Ely, MN 55731, right across the street from Wintergreen Northern Wear.
Arriving on Hwy.169 North (most common route) brings you into the west end of Ely. Hwy. 169 becomes Sheridan Street as you enter the city limits. Drive straight on Sheridan through the first two stoplights. We are on the right hand side of the 200 block right before the historic State Theatrer.
Arriving on Hwy. 1 West (longer, scenic route) brings you to the east side of Ely. Take a left onto Sheridan St. and drive about 10 blocks. Go through the stoplight on Third Ave. We are on the left side on the street just past the historic State Theater.
Store Hours: We're open Sundays to Thursdays, 9 am to noon and 2 to 7 pm. But we understand the complexities of travel and varying trip schedules. If our regular store hours won't accommodate your schedule, please call Tara at 218-235-8664 and we'll arrange a time to meet you at your convenience.
A Personal Note from Tara Shock: For over thirty-five years I have been playing in Minnesota snow. It is my wish that each visitor to this area has as much fun as I do in this winter wonderland. This takes some knowledge and the right clothing. For the past 10 years I have been getting people into the right clothes for winter fun. If you would like to discuss clothes you already have, sizing, layering options, or just want to be sure you will feel warm while out dog sledding please call (218) 235-8664. We want you to be comfortable on your winter vacation here in Ely! Happy Trails! Tara Shock