1. Click HERE to view remaining trip openings.
3. Ready to register? REGISTER ONLINE
OR CLICK HERE for a print form to submit by fax or mail
OR just call us to register by phone 877-753-3386
OUR "TRIP KIT" PACKET
Click the items below to view or print the materials mailed to our registered guests:
Wintergreen Trip Kit Cover Letter
Dressing for Dogsledding Checklist
Rental Clothing & Boots Order Form
Travel, Payment & Liability Release Form
1. Our registration process (by phone, fax or email) takes only 10 minutes. It involves a $100/person deposit payable by check or credit card, with balance due 2 months before your trip. Discounts and refund policies are outlined below. You'll be asked the following items, in addition to your address and phone info, payment preference and trip choice:
2. We'll ask if you have any dietary restrictions or preferences that we can accommodate for you (such as low fat, diabetic, allergies, vegetarian, vegan, gluten &/or lactose free, etc.)
3. We'll ask your age, height and weight. You can 'guesstimate" this info for other members of your group but our dogs will be upset if you guess too low on weights because we use those figures to budget dog power for your teams. (Persons over 250 pounds may find it difficult to balance on the sleds unless they're quite fit.)
4. For your safety, we'll ask you about any physical or medical restrictions you may have. All such information is strictly confidential. Please note that health conditions or disabilities do not necessarily prevent anyone from participating on our trips. Persons with the following conditions have enjoyed our trips: diabetes (type 1 & 2), amputations, prosthetic arms, legs, hips & knees, back and knee braces, catheters & colostomies, dog allergies, arthritis, asthma, limited hearing and sight. But it is very important that you alert us to any health conditions you may have.
5. For your comfort, we'll ask about your fitness. One of the great things about dogsledding is that it accommodates persons of virtually any fitness level. However, if you are seriously out-of-shape (for example, if you find walking a mile to be exhausting), then a Wintergreen experience may be too challenging. If you have basic fitness (that is, if you could walk 2-3 miles without much difficulty), then you'd enjoy any of our lodge-to-lodge trips. If you're moderately fit or better (and could handle, for example, a 5-mile walk), then our camping trips would be a fit for you as well. If you have concerns about your fitness, please feel free to discuss them with us. (See more fitness info below.)
6. If you're traveling as a pair or group, we'll ask your preference regarding double or single beds. If you're traveling as a single, we'll ask if you require a private room (which is generally available for a $50/night surcharge) or if you're willing to share a double room with another single of the same gender (no charge).
7. We'll ask you to sign an Assumption of Risk and Liability Waiver form (sent by mail) indicating that you assume full responsibility for your participation and that you have health and accident insurance. While our safety record is superb, these requirements are standard protocol for all outdoor programs. We encourage you to click here to review and print a copy of this waiver for your records.
8. We'll respond to your reservation with a confirmation letter. Then a few months before your trip, you'll receive our "Trip Kit" packet which includes info for preparing for your trip, suggested clothing checklist, rental clothing options, a Wintergreen clothing catalog and 20% discount coupon, brochure and free pass to Ely's International Wolf Center and info about Ely's new North American Bear Center. Travelex trip insurance brochure and our liability release, travel plans & final payment form with send-back envelope. Finally, a few weeks before your trip, you'll receive an update letter with final details about the itinerary for your trip, your guides and the other guests in your group.
Welcome aboard! We look forward to sharing a Wintergreen experience with you!
Paul & Susan Schurke & the Wintergreen team
877-753-3386 (877-Sled Fun)
Our package prices include all meals, lodging, guide services, equipment, taxes and permit fees. The only additional expenses our guests generally incur are transport and clothing rental, if needed. About half of our guests opt to rent some clothing items from
IF YOU'RE PAYING BY CREDIT CARD:
Unless you request otherwise, we'll automatically debit any balance due on this same card 2 months before your trip. Email registrations are accessed only by Wintergreen's registrar and are deleted immediately after we've processed them. But if you prefer, you can provide your credit card number to us by phone. Or you can pay by mailed check -- please be sure we receive your deposit within 5 days of registering and your final payment within 2 months of your trip.
RATES, DISCOUNTS & REFUNDS:
If you're concerned that your trip plans may be subject to change, we strongly recommend you purchase trip cancellation insurance from Travelex Company. It will reimburse you for any non-refundable trip or transport expenses you've incurred in the event an incident or illness (involving you, a family member, business partner or traveling companion) or job loss requires you to cancel your trip. It's reasonably inexpensive (about 10% of your trip cost), kids 16 & under are free and it provides some medical expense coverage. If purchased within 21 days of registering for your trip, it covers cancellations arising from pre-existing health conditions. Call Travelex at 800-228-9792, or enroll online at Travelex. Their "Travel Basic" plan is the best deal for those under 60, "Travel Select" covers people of any age. We recommend you protect your travel investment.
Our guests who live in the Midwest region (MI,WI,OH,IN,IL,ND,SD,NE,KS,MO) generally choose to drive. Ely is served by good all-weather highway systems (all but the last 50 miles is divided 4-lane) and in our 25 years of trips none of our guests have ever had their trip delayed by road closures. Allow for 4 hours drive time from Minneapolis/St. Paul, 12 hours from Chicago, 13 hours from Kansas City. Four-wheel drive is not essential.
From the Minneapolis/St.Paul(MSP) airport: Ely Shuttle (218-349-1383) is a good option (especially for groups of 5 or more who book their 15-pax van). So are car rentals, which run about $30/day (intermediate size, 2-wheel drive is fine). Renting is appealing for those who choose to extend their stay in Minnesota before or after their Wintergreen trip. Various Ely lodges offer discounts for Wintergreen guests and we're happy to recommend discount lodging options for a scenic overnight stay in Duluth or along Minnesota's beautiful North Shore Highway on Lake Superior.
MSP vs. DLH/HIB: If you don’t mind driving (and it’s a pleasant, scenic 4-hour drive largely on 4-lane divided highway), flying to MSP and renting a car is the cheaper option. Last season, airfare from east or west coast PLUS car rental totaled about $400 each for 2 people. And, if you depart from the east or west coast 7-9am, you’ll arrive in Ely 4-6pm, which is only slightly later than our guests on the DLH or HIB connecting flights who arrive in Ely by ground shuttle taxi 3-4 pm. Want to avoid driving AND connecting flights? www.SkylineShuttle.com offers 6 van trips/day MSP-DLH where you can connect with a cab to Ely.