Gearing Up for Your Wintergreen Dogsled Trip is Easy
Rental items: The key to winter comfort is having insulating layers that hold body warmth, plus outer shell layers that shed snow. Parkas combine insulating and shell layers in one garment and work fine. But we recommend the flexibility of having separate insulating and shell garments so that you can adjust your clothing as needed to stay warm & dry. Therefore the Wintergreen rental parkas (called "anoraks") and snow pants are offered in both shell and fleece (insulating) layers. We can advise you on whether you'll want to rent one or both layers, depending upon what you already have. Our rental snow boots have rubber lowers, leather or nylon high-top uppers and removable insulating liners for ease of drying. Renting all these items (anorak & pants layers plus boots) at package discount runs $135 per adult for multi-day trips ($60 for single day trips) and $80 per child for multi-day trips ($45 for day trips). But you may only need some items: last year about half our overnight guests rented gear and they spent an average of $75 in rental.
Purchase items: Wintergreen Northern Wear offers synthetic long underwear tops and bottoms ($32 each for adult sizes, $20 each for kids sizes), thin liner socks ($11/adults, $6/kids), thick insulating socks ($10/adults, $11/kids), super-warm mittens ($69/adult, $59/kids) and hat ($66/adult, $45/kids). Purchasing all these items at package discount runs $218/adult, $146/kids. But you may only need some items (last year's guests who needed gear spent about $100/adult.) And remember, these items are a wise investment. They'll enhance your enjoyment of your Wintergreen experience and all other fall, spring or winter activities you engage in.
Rental and Purchase Options
The full rental package: Warmth and Wind layers
- Snow Boots: Great for backcountry snow with rubber lowers and leather or nylon high-top uppers and removable insulating liners for ease of drying. Available in kids whole sizes 3-7 and adult whole sizes 6-15. But supplies are limited so reserve a pair if you may need them.
- Shell Anorak: Made by the clothing experts at Wintergreen Northern wear here in Ely with 3-ply nylon that blocks the wind and breathes. The roomy design allows for layering underneath and circulation of warm air throughout the torso. Features a full coverage hood, two-way zipper, velcro wrist closures, large front pockets and draw-cords at the waist, hem and hood. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Fleece Anorak: Made of expedition weight fleece that gives maximum insulation and blocks wind. Also made by Wintergreen Northern wear this has the same features as the Shell Anorak. Wear these Anoraks together for the perfect winter coat. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Shell Pants: Made with 3-ply Nylon that blocks the wind and breathes. Plenty of room for comfortable movement and layering. Features large cargo pockets and zip fly. View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
- Fleece Pants: These fit nicely under the shell pants as the insulating layer. Made of a heavyweight powerstretch® with a soft inside and durable outside. They are so comfortable you may want a pair to take home! View at wintergreennorthernwear.com
Rent one of each item and receive the Rental Package discount rate of $135/adult, $80/kid (multi-day trips) or $60/adult, $45/kid (single day trips)
The full purchase package: Wicking layers
- Base layer top: Cold Pruf's midweight base layers provide warmth while wicking moisture from the skin. Made of 96% polyester and 4% lycra elastane.
- Base layer bottom: Cold Pruf's midweight base layers provide warmth while wicking moisture from the skin. Made of 96% polyester and 4% lycra elastane.
- Liner Socks: Fox River's Wicking Dry Therm-A-Wick liner socks are made of 55% Thermolite® polyester, 44% Nylon and 1% Spandex. Lends warmth without bulk and keeps the foot dry.
- Insulating Socks: Fox RIver's Insulating Therm-O socks are made of 35% wool, 31% Hollofil® polyester, 26% acrylic, 7% nylon and 1% spandex. These are time tested heavy weight socks that hold in the heat.
- Liner gloves: Wick Dry Therm-O-Liner adds warmth without weight. Made of 98% thermolite® polyester and 2% spandex by Fox River. Keeps hands covered while tying laces or zipping up jackets.
- Double Layer Mittens: Designed and made by Wintergreen with two layers of expedition weight fleece with an extended cuff. Exceptional warmth made in the USA. For those looking for more options.
- Wintergreen Hat: Full head coverage is the key to keeping in heat. Designed and made by Wintergreen, the hats come down over the ears and several styles secure under the chin. Double layer of soft inner insulating fleece and outer wind & precipation-proof shell fabric.
Purchase one of each item and receive the Purchase Package discount rate of $218/adult, $146/child
Wintergreen Northern Wear is conveniently located on Ely's main street at 205 E. Sheridan St. Ely, MN 55731.
Arriving on Hwy.169 North (most common route) brings you into the west end of Ely. Hwy. 169 becomes Sheridan Street as you enter the city limits. Drive straight on Sheridan through the first stoplight. We are on the left hand side at the top of the hill.
Arriving on Hwy. 1 West (longer, scenic route) brings you to the east side of Ely. Take a left onto Sheridan St. and drive about 10 blocks. Go through the stoplight on Third Ave. We are on the right side on the street a block past the Zups Grocery Store.